If you’ve got a health concern that hasn’t been solved by your doctor, or worse, is being totally dismissed, you need to learn about environmental medicine. But regardless of your current health situation, this is an episode I think everyone can benefit from because we cover so many different misconceptions floating around about our health in general.
In this episode, I had a conversation with Dr. Marillea Yu, a licensed Naturopathic Doctor with a special interest in environmental medicine. She shared so many great pearls of wisdom in here, and I wasn’t expecting my biggest take-away to be nothing to do with toxins or medicine but rather how we treat each other… have a listen and you’ll hear the theme woven throughout.
We talk about:
- What is Environmental Medicine
- Why we should be aware of – not anxious about – toxins
- Why “quick fix” detoxes aren’t the answer
- The problem with “we have detoxification systems to handle everything”
- Multiple Chemical Sensitivity – what it is and how to be sympathetic to others
- How Environmental Medicine can support Fibromyalgia and Chronic Fatigue
- What to do when doctors don’t know what’s wrong with you
- Approaching detoxification from an environmental medicine perspective
- The problem with synthetic fragrance
- Why it’s important to address toxins before you get sick
Dr. Marillea Yu received her BSc in Biology at the University of Prince Edward Island in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island prior to becoming a graduate of The Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Her clinical interests centre on Environmental Medicine and the effects of everyday toxic exposures on health and wellness and its contribution to chronic and inflammatory disease and autoimmunity. This includes exploring the effects of industrialization on health outcomes, especially in communities and areas where resource extraction has occurred and the effects of industrialization are experienced first-hand.
When not at work she enjoys practicing capoeira, playing soccer, practicing her knitting, reading up on a variety of subjects and spending time with her family.
Links Mentioned in the Episode:
Healthy Home Solution: https://greenathome.ca/solution
Dr. Walter Crinnion’s Book “Clean, Green at Lean”: https://greenathome.ca/shop/#booksresources
Episode 15 on Environmental Racism with Dr. Ingrid Waldron (available January 12th): https://greenathome.ca/podcast/environmental-racism-with-dr-waldron
Where to find more from Dr. Yu: